The digital nomad life is full of serenity, incredulity, beauty, banality, and idiosyncrasy. Whether you’re just exploring the nomadic lifestyle or have been digital nomads for years, this collection of notes, stories, and anecdotes aim to inform, to warn, and to inspire.
Basically, I’m here to give a first-person perspective into the life of a digital nomad. It’s going to be uncensored, it may not always be pretty, it’s not always a dream, but it will be the truth — and the truth is something we desperately need more of in our lives.
I’m Chris Backe (rhymes with hockey), and yes, those really are monkeys on my back from a temple in Thailand. Together with my wife, we’ve lived as digital nomads since 2013.
Over the last 30-plus years, I’ve been many things:
- A Protestant
- A Royal Ranger (kinda like a Christian Boy Scout)
- A college student
- A Business major
- A swing dancer
- A tenor in the college choir
- A member of a barbershop quartet
- A guy who worked any number of dead-end jobs
- An expat teaching English in South Korea
- An award-winning travel blogger
- A professional photographer
And so on. One funny thing about life is that life without reinvention is… kinda boring.
I’ve blogged about life and travel since 2008:
- 2008-2013 as Chris in South Korea (stopped after leaving the country)
- 2013-2014 as Chris in Thailand (stopped after realizing it was a better idea to rebrand and cover more countries)
- 2014-2018 as One Weird Globe (stopped because I sold the blog)
- 2018-present as Worthy Go
At present, I am:
- Husband to an awesome woman
- A digital nomad since March 2013
- A designer of tabletop games (board and card games, not video games)
- A guidebook and itinerary author of about 25 books.
- The author of Becoming a Digital Nomad
- Paid to make websites, help people make their own websites, edit or proofread text, and ghostwrite.
- Blogging about the digital nomad lifestyle and life as a traveler right here.